ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Monday, August 13, 2007

Life Before Cable?

So I was watching the PGA Golf Tournament yesterday on CBS, and the tournament was about 45 minutes from being over, Tiger Woods was on his way to his 13th major, and suddenly, the TV got stuck. I mean every channel became freeze-framed. The DVR stated that all the channels were temporarily off the air, and when I took the DVR off-line, the channels were all stuck in that particular moment in time.

I thought, "man, I'd like to see the rest of the tournament, guess I'll have to see if they are broadcasting it on the internet." (for some reason, the internet, which we also get by cable, was working) So, for a few minutes, I was watching on the PGA website some very grainy "live" webcam action from the tournament.

A few minutes later, my wife says, "you know, we might be able to get some type of reception." And I was thinking, "but the cable's out, right?" She says, "through the antenna."

And it was like transporting to a former time (not too long ago for us, but still a few years ago) where we adjusted the ol' rabbit ears to see if we could get this or that channel--lucky for me the tournament was on a network station, and I got to watch the rest of the tournament. Always nice to have a backup plan.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • At 8:28 AM , Blogger David Blugerman said...

    Your post made me introspective - particularly I wondered about the frozen moment, when the tv picture locked-up.

    What would a "frozen moment" look like for me? In God's providence, what moment would be the one etched in time - frozen as it were on the tv screen of my life? Which moment would be emblematic of my life?

    I haven't really thought much about this and I'm posting on the fly. Writing as I'm thinking, thinking as I'm writing.

     
  • At 1:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dan, I missed you yesterday, what happened? And Beca where were you after the service, I was going to chat with you, but you were gone :(

    Wasnt it a great service ????

    Love Andrea

     
  • At 6:27 PM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    David: wow. I guess some thought-provoking illustrations are unintentional! Never thought of it that way, but interesting indeed.

    Andrea: I can't speak for my wife, but I was sick yesterday and hated that I couldn't make it to church.

     
  • At 9:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dan,
    I hope you are doing better!!! :)

    By the way, I didnt mean Wv people arent nice, I meant Immigration officer are usually very unfriendly> I guess that come with the territory. But those three people I had were sooo friendly it was amazing!!!

     
  • At 10:16 PM , Blogger Chris said...

    David a truly "frozen moment" could not be seen. Have you ever thought that if there were truly such a thing as a "frozed moment," then all "being" would cease to exist except for God? When I say "frozen moment," I mean all motion ceases. Think of it..., no movement, no breeze blowing,(including the breeze moving through your nose keeping you alive, and no breeze blowing out of your mouth making sounds, or sound waves either), no lunch moving in your stomach, no TV image particles (I made that one up) zooming through the air or through cable wires, no blood coursing through veins in our bodies, no light waves bouncing around, (complete darkness), no electrons zipping around protons and neutrons, no such thing as time anymore. Everything ceases "to be" except for God and He is unchanged. I find it to be a fascinating and a bit scary that our existence is based so strongly upon motion. Have you ever wondered how important motion is?

     
  • At 12:59 PM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Andrea,
    I am feeling better. Thanks.

    Chris,
    It is interesting how everything is based on motion/movement and how God is the author of that--though I would think that God, since he existed before time, could freeze a moment if he wanted (though we wouldn't know about it!).

     
  • At 6:28 PM , Blogger Chris said...

    Dan

    Yes, God could freeze a moment in time. He is supernatural and can manipulate nature. I am a little curious. If he froze us , would our physical/molecular structure remain the same? I mean if everything stopped, would we retain the same properties, or could we really continue to exist without true movement/motion?

    I do remember an episode of Happy Days where Mork from Ork visited Earth and was able to manipulate time so to speak. Seems like I remember he freezes "The Fonz," punches him and then wakes him up. Of course Fonzie is clueless as to what happened except he had a sore jaw afterwards.

     
  • At 7:37 AM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Chris,
    I remember something similar happening in a movie released recently called "Click" with Adam Sandler--he does a similar thing to David Hasselhoff's character in that movie.

     
  • At 2:59 PM , Blogger David Blugerman said...

    You guys have an amazing recall of sitcom and movie history!

    I hadn't thought about the importance of movement.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home