ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Wham! A Dose of Spurgeon to the Side of the Head!

On Tuesday night I headed to Northern Virginia for one of my overnight trips (I drive up to the county where I am having court the next morning since the court time is so early that I am allowed a hotel stay so I don't have to get up early and drive it). I was not feeling too great about work, thought about the mistakes I've made over the past months and I just wished in passing (like I'm sure Christians have wont to do), "Jesus, just take me to heaven away from this trouble so I can be with you, where there is no suffering or trial."

AND THEN I READ SPURGEON'S MORNING READING FOR MAY 2nd. The Scripture? John 17:15: "I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one." This is what Jesus asked the Lord, that we would be in the world and while kept from Satan, this does not mean that we are to be shielded from all trial and suffering--ouch!

Spurgeon comments that while we would ask to be taken away to the heavens, "Christ does not pray like that, He leaves us in His Father's hands, until like shocks of corn fully ripe, we shall each be gathered into our Master's garner." Even more, he states that staying here on earth (and going through trials and suffering) is "needful" for others if not ourselves.

But you know what observation struck me the most? Spurgeon comments that "Christians often want to die when they have trouble." Ask yourself--have you ever wished to be with the Lord in the same manner when you are blessed and things are going well as when you are suffering? The most striking thing he said is: "They (meaning Christians who want to get rid of their sufferings) want to go home, not so much for the Saviour's company, as to be at rest."

WOW. In other words, unless I can be as Paul and say truly, "to live is Christ and to die is gain" and our desire to go to Christ is one based in a desire solely to be with Him then we'd better wait on God in the midst of our strife and trust that He'll take us when He's ready. After all, He's God and we're not--we should seek to glorify Him until He does.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 9:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Uhmmm, I hope your ok, but you posted last on the THIRD. Cant you find something to write about?????

    LOLOL...just messing with ya!

    Love Andrea

     
  • At 2:51 PM , Blogger David Blugerman said...

    I wan more!!?? More Spurgeon!!

     
  • At 5:59 PM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    David (and Andrea!):
    I will try to post some more this weekend--I promise! More helpings of Spurgeon and other topics in general.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home