ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Great Weekend Ahead!

According to the weather, it's supposed to be sunny all weekend, which always helps with the rest and relaxation. I don't really know if I have much planned other than putting up a clothesline for my wife, which shouldn't take too long--although some spring "cleaning" might take place.

We went to small group last night, and we are continuing our study on the sacraments. We are studying baptism, and it will be interesting to hear the Presby perspective on it since I hail from a more Baptistic (and thus credo or believer's baptism) background. I'm trying to keep an open mind, and I'm sure both sides realize that this difference in doctrine certainly doesn't prevent fellowship in any way (since we agree on the core of the Gospel).

Anyway, this week at work was not so bad--I didn't have any big mistakes, which is always good. And next week will be one of my lightest court weeks in a while (I only have court once because of a state-wide judicial conference that shuts down the entire court system for two to three days).

Enjoy His creation today!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 9:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Enjoy your weekend Dan. We miss you guys.

    Shane

     
  • At 9:02 PM , Blogger Chris said...

    Hi Dan

    I enjoyed your comment last night concerning baptism, and the Baptist perspective of it being a sign of following Jesus. You articulated the perspective well. Yes, I believe baptism is a sign of following Jesus, but it believe it primariliy signifies regeneration.

    These things are somewhat knew to me as well. I was in the Baptist Church from birth but I have only been a Presbyterian for about 1 1/2 years. I appreciate you having an open mind and being patient with my teaching. I am trying to be faithful to teach, based upon the Bible, what we believe as a church.

    Chris

     
  • At 8:02 AM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Chris,
    When I articulated the viewpoint, I was not as clear as I should have been that the viewpoint is one that Baptists in general hold to (as it being simply a sign, to the world, of following Jesus). As a reformed Baptist, I would not disagree that it primarily signifies regeneration. I would agree that Baptism is a physical picture of what has already happened spiritually (calling/regeneration). (We may only see things differently as it comes to baptism and children, and I'm willing to hear the perspective since I've not heard it articulated before, I've only read a few things.)

    I look at it also as a means of grace for the believer, something that benefits the believer (though it IS something that God does since we receive it).

    And I want to encourage you in your teaching--small groups can be difficult at times. Getting groups of people (from different backgrounds/interests/personalities) to remain on track for an hour or more is tough. I think you're doing great.

     
  • At 8:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Dan and Rebekah,

    thanks for your comment on my site :) it is greatly appreciated!!!

    I got a question though....when will you post??? LOL

    Blessings
    Andrea

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home