ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Friday, November 23, 2007

A Thank-full Thanksgiving

Wednesday night my parents came into town and it has been nice to have them here--we're a little closer to them than we were when we were at the Beach, so it's good for them to come and not have to travel so far. My wife unfortunately had to work today even though I did get a rare day off.

It's amazing to think that another year has passed since the last Thanksgiving when they were down here, and much has changed. My dad, who had a job last year, finds himself unemployed now and having to look for work at age 57, which is tough for him. But, in another way, it has allowed him to do four (!) devotionals each morning as he prepares for his day (sometimes God wants to get your attention, yeah?).

I'm thankful for family, and for the strong Christian roots I've been blessed with--not only on my side of the family, but my wife's as well. I'm thankful for being able to work and having a job, as well as a reliable car and good house to live in. We have a wonderful dog and food to eat. And we have a great church with a great group of believers to fellowship with on a weekly basis.

But while being so thankful my wife and I realize there is a deep desire that we both have (to have a child of our own) and we wonder (constantly) if/when that will happen. We have prayed and groaned and it has made us weary (wondering if there is something within us or within that desire that is wrong?)--but it is in this that reminds me how marriage and the love within it is based on a decision that must be made daily. I must wake up and decide that I will love my wife, no matter what may come, and she does the same towards me. When I say that I love my wife, it runs deeper than cutesy hearts and cupid arrows and chocolates on Valentine's Day--I am committed to being the person she needs, now and forever, until the Lord Himself relieves me of that duty.

People often wonder why the divorce rate in this country is the same between Christian and non-Christian homes. A person once said (I can't remember who?) that love is finding your happiness or joy in someone else's happiness or joy. Did you hear that? Your deepest joy should be in making someone else happy--and the end game of your actions should simply be their happiness. Not to get a promotion, to feel good about yourself in giving them a certain gift (so as to pat yourself on the back for a job well done), or puff yourself up, but simply bringing them joy.

Most people don't see love in this way--they use it to get something for them--if it isn't useful to them, or can't give them an advantage, why employ it(though they would NEVER outwardly admit this)?

Be thankful on this day that you cherish Christ and that Christ is the center of your marriage (with the gracious help of the Holy Spirit), and if it isn't, plead in your prayers to Him to convict you in this.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 2:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Amen! After all thankfulness is God's idea! The Bible is full of commands, encouragements, invitations, and examples of thankfulness! But in our natural self-centered state of mind, thankfulness is a chore.

    One person (sarcastically) said: "If you want to find thankfulness, you'll have to look for it in the dictionary."

    Another said: "A mark of an unregenerate man is ingratitude."

    May this not be said about us!

    Thank you, Dan, for such a clear call to thankfulness!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home