ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Thursday, December 06, 2007

My First Trial is Over!

I had court this morning about 3 hours away at 8:30 (which means I woke up at 4 and left at 5 AM), and that wasn't too bad.

But I had a trial today back here in the Valley that I have really not been looking forward to for a couple of weeks--the opposing counsel was actually being considered for a judgeship, and I really didn't know how it was going to pan out.

I got back from my morning court date around 12:30 and stopped by my office to make some copies, but I was otherwise unable to do ANYTHING before I left because all I could think about was the upcoming trial in town at 2:00.

They put on their case, I put on mine and at the end of the day, I got judgment in favor of my client (the defendant, so it was dismissed). I was thrown a couple of curves during the trial and I honestly didn't think we'd come out victorious, but God was faithful in giving me favor with the judge. It feels so good that it's over now, and I'm glad I was able to get a good result for my client.

My boss even let me go home a little early since I'd been up for about 12 hours, which was nice. I think my wife and I are going out to eat tonight to celebrate, which should be fun.

And as an example that it's not like what you see on TV, the opposing attorney came over after the case was done and congratulated me, telling me I did a good job. Don't believe what you see on television--the bar (what we call the group of attorneys that practice before the courts) is on the large whole a great group of men and women of integrity who you can argue with before the judge but yet after court go grab a bite to eat with or play golf with on the weekend. Most people think that we're mean to each other and that somehow helps them in their case, when in fact it does quite the opposite--if opposing counsel have good rapport, it makes any litigation go much smoother (or may even prevent it--good attorneys aren't deliberately trying to delay or make it difficult for the other side). Being an attorney is a privilege (which I could tell you by the fact that the Bar is quite busy policing itself and takes infractions VERY seriously) and I consider it a privilege to be counted among them.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 7:17 PM , Blogger Chris said...

    Way to go Dan! Congratulations on your first trial.

    I only know two lawyers, you and Pete. And both of you are men of integrity.

    You are involved in an honorable profession. I wish you the best.

    Chris

     
  • At 8:35 PM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Thanks, Chris. A lot of what I do seems somewhat like "busywork" and so to do what I did today and do well at it, while getting my hands into it, was very cool.

     
  • At 11:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I am proud of you for doing a great job for your client.

    The second one will be much easier, you think? :)

    Love
    Andrea

     
  • At 2:15 PM , Blogger David Blugerman said...

    Did you have to resort to some highfalutin lawyerin' language and assorted shananigans to win? Or, did you just explain the truth in a compelling way?

    Congrats!!

    - David

     
  • At 11:29 PM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    David,
    What's done in Vegas (or said in the court room), well...all I will say is that I prayed for favor with the judge (before court) and God granted it, because at one point it didn't look very good at all for my arguments (I'd tell you more about it but I'd probably bore you!)!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home