ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

How Long? Well, Longer, Apparently....

I just received notice today that I was not chosen for the position I interviewed for at the AG's office, and I have to say that it stings a little bit. This is one that I really wanted, and it seemed that God had lined everything thing up, with connections and good rapport with the interviewers, but it was not in His plan. I have an interview with another department in that office next week, but it's hard to hope. To be rejected out of such a small pool of candidates (just three) is quite tough, especially having had a follow up interview. My wife and I's financial condition surely doesn't make this process any easier, as it forces me to consider just taking some temporary legal work by moving to an area that has that work. Though I don't want to settle for something like this, I don't know what to do after hearing "no" so many times. It's hard not to feel like I'm not wanted by anyone, but I simply have to rest in Christ's grace that He knows best for this situation.

Surely doesn't make it easy.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:17 PM , Blogger Matt Gumm said...

    Hi Dan. Thanks for your note of support on Frank's blog.

    I know (in part, anyway) what you're going through. When I was first out of school, I was finding that every9one wanted experience, and I didn't have any. I was so desperate I went to several temp agencies, including one that hired only smokers (didn't know it until after I tested). I didn't pass their test, so I was rejected by them, too. It stung. Finally, God opened a door with a company that I really wanted to be a part of, and was able to spend several years there.

    While there, I had a chance to become a manager, or assistant manager--they had 30 applicants for about 20 slots, and I was more qualified than most. But I didn't get it--one interviewer said it was because I didn't want it enough, another said I was too desperate. Again, I was crushed. But not long after that, I applied for a position as a manager, and beat out several other folks who were already managers.

    I won't bore you right now with my layoff story, but just keep the faith. I'm happy to add you to my prayer list.

     
  • At 7:34 AM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Matt,
    Thanks for dropping by (I rarely get visitors), and thanks for the encouragement. Virginia is a large state, but unfortunately with not a lot of job openings (for people with my lack of experience). I'm hoping to soon find that person that will "take a chance" on me and give me a job.

    The process has been long and hard, but it has been edifying as well, making me focus even more on Christ and giving me a hunger to know him better.

    I really enjoy Frank's blog and your contributions to it--keep up the great work in defending the faith.

     
  • At 10:29 AM , Blogger marc said...

    Dan,
    I was unemployed for 9 months recently after being layed off and know what a struggle job hunting can be. I pray you find what the Lord has for you out there.

    Christian Lawyer? Isn't that oxymoronic ;-)

    SDG,
    Marc

     
  • At 11:11 AM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Marc, thanks for stopping by. And yeah, many people do actually draw back when I say that I am 1)a Christian and 2) a lawyer (and they are not joking, just surprised I can be one).

    The problem is that in my particular situation, I have too little experience in most cases to get a lawyer-type job (most folks don't want to "take a chance" on me), but on the other end of the spectrum, places like Lowe's or Best Buy won't hire me because I'm "overqualified" (and also, to them, a flight risk).

    Go figure, huh?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home