ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Friday, April 21, 2006

Interview Today

It has been a rather slow week, with me substituting for an English class and a Chemistry class, and reading three fiction books. I have an interview today for a position that actually is in Roanoke (about 4-5 hours west), but thankfully the interviewer is going to be in Virginia Beach today so that I can meet her for lunch. So instead of driving approximately 5 hours one way, I only have to drive 5 miles one way. God is gracious, for sure. I'm not totally sure what the position will entail, so I'm going in with low expectations--but not much to lose, since I'm not driving far!

UPDATE: Well, the interview was Friday, and went well--it seems an unpleasant line of work, that being collections (I mean, who wants to be hounded by someone wanting their money, even if they do owe it?), but interesting nonetheless. I read some information about the company that they collect for that raises some concerns with me, but it turns out that I will be able to address them further with them this week. While I was writing my thank-you letter for the interview this morning, she called back wanting to have a follow-up in Roanoke and meet with the other attorney. Thankfully, they're putting me up for one night in a hotel, so that I won't have to drive 10 hours in one day (round-trip).

4 Comments:

  • At 6:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    And what fiction books would you be reading?

    :+)
    Kate
    (Always interested in other good reading material...)

     
  • At 9:36 PM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Well, I have actually started reading the Harry Potter series--I read books 2 and 3 this week, and I also read a book by Ronald Pearson, called Cut and Run. Pearson's book is a quick read, and good if you like mysteries/thrillers, but his evil people are truly evil (some of the characters' behavior is disgusting, but shows their depravity).

    Unfortunately, it has distracted me from more edifying reading, such as the Owen book that I've been blogging on, and the book on spiritual depression I've been reading by Lloyd-Jones. But I suppose there has to be balance--some fun, some study.

    If you've read Lewis at all, but haven't read his Space Trilogy, I would THOROUGHLY recommend it. It's my favorite fiction by him in true fiction sense (his work in Screwtape Letters and Great Divorce is good as well). Also, check out Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series--very tightly written and a neat concept.

    Thanks for asking, and thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

     
  • At 9:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank you for your comment on my blog about source documents. I will check the website you mentioned. I had not thought of that other than diary-type books. I am currently reading a diary from that time period, but it is not for children as they would not understand it.

    Are you enjoying the HP books? I have been debating with myself about reading them for some time, but have always bumped them for something else. I am a huge fan of real-life biography/autobiography in a historical setting and recently finished A Nazi Officer's Wife. I would like to know if the Potter books are worth the time.

    Anyway, thanks for your post.

    Warmly,
    Kate

     
  • At 1:18 PM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Kate,
    They are worth the time--a very fun read. My only regret is that I did not read them before watching the movies (so that being a guy, I envision the characters as they are displayed in the movie rather than what my mind would do with them normally). Rowling's writing is great, and her imagery is superb. I've read the first three in about two weeks (fast for me). I wouldn't think I would enjoy them, but they are truly hilarious at spots.

    Oh, and sorry that I couldn't think of more books for children--I was a history major and have MANY examples for high school/college level, but as you said, not much that your children would grasp. Happy hunting on the LOC site.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home