ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Monday, May 21, 2007

Sharing the Gospel

(before I really start this post--I did NOT want to get up this morning--ever have that feeling of deep exhaustion where you could likely hit the snooze button at least 5 times? I was there this morning!)

The Holy Spirit has a way of convicting God's elect of certain truths and He's been putting a specific thought in my mind of late. Namely, why do I get so excited about sharing a song I heard or food I have eaten with someone, and not have the same passion when it comes to sharing the Gospel?

Because sharing the Gospel would cost me something--reputation or status, I might get embarrassed, someone might look at me as foolish (some may say they don't care what others say, but deep down we do!), etc. Sharing the latest song I heard or restaurant I've been to--if someone says, "well, it was just okay" in response, I might be a little disappointed but it's no skin off my nose.

However, when I share the Gospel, I am shining God's truth into their lives, a truth which stands against all else and is THE answer, not just one among many. The Gospel as it told throughout Scripture should define us and we should more than want to share its life-giving power with others--but we don't because we are paralyzed by what someone else would think of us!

Lord, help us to remove our inhibitions from sharing the Gospel and proclaim your Word and its truth to all we encounter, speaking the truth in love!

(I'll be blogging later on my pastor's EXCELLENT sermon from yesterday as well as my recent small group gathering where we discussed Presbyterian views on baptism--so stay tuned!)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 3:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    AMEN to "sharing the Gospel" we all feel like that I think except David...LOL
    I wish I would share the Gospel more than I do now. But there is hope too, because we have Jesus, and he is our hope for everything and even for sharing the Gospel!

    And yes you better put on another post TODAY!

    Love Andrea

     
  • At 8:30 PM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Andrea,
    You do a much better job at sharing than I do, as evidenced by those you invite to church--be encouraged! Things such as God's provision through the church with your car situation, etc. are the types of stuff that leads to conversations about the Gospel. We cannot all stand on soapboxes (because we weren't meant to and we're not wired that way) and proclaim the Word like the Apostle Paul. We are a relational people--you reach out to those at work who you are getting to know better because those are the ones that God has placed in your path.

    But as I mentioned in a previous post, we are all called to share God's love and compassion with others in the moments we have with people we may never see again.

    All that to say, I think that we all have regrets as to how we fail at sharing the Gospel! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home