ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Our Bibles Are Not Antiques


I was in a Christian bookstore last weekend to purchase a concert ticket and I was noticing how many different types of Bibles there were available for purchase in the store; study bibles, devotional bibles, parallel bibles, children's bibles, and numerous translations. Next to the Bibles were the numerous ways to cover your bible, whether by fabric or by leather, zipper case or not.

It got me thinking about a few things--for starters, how many bibles I had in my house (close to six, I think). In addition, looking at the casings in the store, I thought that oftentimes we treat the physical Bible itself as an antique rather than something to be used. We don't mark it up or highlight in it, because it's the Word of God, after all! We put it back in its casing and are very careful to open and close it, because we wouldn't want to damage it--but have you ever seen the Christian with the Bible whose cover is worn and the pages marked up like it was a college textbook? That's how we ought to use it, for as Paul states in 2 Timothy 3:16, all Scripture is breathed out by God, and profitable for teaching, for reproof, and for training in righteousness."

Now, notice the picture to the above right--it is an old Bible and not one that was preserved in glass or in pristine condition. Or this picture, which shows a Bible that has clearly been used.

When my wife and I got married, my dad gave us a table that had been in his family for a long time--it was a table that my parents and I used as a computer table while I was still living at home, but when it was given to us, it became our dining table. Now, we could have put it over in the corner and treated it as an antique, but we were given it so that we could use it.

So before you are quick to be overprotective of your copy of God's Word (notice that I'm not saying you should toss it around like you don't care about it), remember that it's been given to you by God for use and for your benefit.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

  • At 12:43 PM , Blogger Chris said...

    Dan

    I have a family member (in-law) who believes it is borderline blasphemie to stack another book on top of a Bible. What do yo think? BTW. I agree with your post, however, I always have a hard time writing in ANY book. I think it was something drilled into my conscience by my elementary school teachers. You could get in BIG trouble for doing that!

     
  • At 9:29 PM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Chris,
    I don't know how I feel about it as a concept, though I know that I do it from time to time since my Bible is always by my bedside, so it's possible that I put something on top of it without thinking. But the fact that it is looked at as blaspheming may need to be analyzed--it could stem from a type of legalism rather than a true reverence for the Word of God.

    I totally know what you mean about it being drilled into our heads in elementary school! They constantly harped on that when I was there too.

    I used to be that way about writing in books, but when I started paying for my textbooks in college (and realizing that I would only get 9 to 11 cents on the dollar EVEN IF I turned it in brand new), I decided to keep a lot of my textbooks and wrote and highlighted to my heart's content. My copy of Lewis' The Great Divorce has several different colors of pen in it because I've read it at least 4 times.

     
  • At 5:33 AM , Blogger David Blugerman said...

    Good post, Dan! After reading yours and Chris' comments, I looked over to my left - I'm sitting on the couch at the beach - and a David Baldacci paperbook novel is on top of my Bible. What does that mean???

    I've written in my Bible, but not the novel...

     
  • At 6:48 AM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    David,
    I wouldn't think a thing about it--you don't impress me as someone who treats the Bible as just another book. :) I would even venture to say that someone that stacks books or other things on top of the Bible and AT THE SAME TIME has no care for the content of the Scriptures can in some ways have a similar view/reverence of Scripture (in his heart of hearts) that the person who would state it is blasphemous to stack anything on the physical Bible in the first place.

    It is the same way with any building where the people of God meet--the building is not holy in and of itself, but only holy if God reveals his presence and when his people are gathered there. The physical Bible itself cannot save--its content must be read and proclaimed to the people.

     
  • At 9:58 AM , Blogger Chris said...

    David

    Was the Bible below the David Baldacci novel a KJV? Just wondering if that would make any difference?

    Griff

     
  • At 7:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dan,

    Interesting that you quoted 2 Timothy 3:16. This is the first I've read your blog (found the link on your Facebook page). This entry was from the 18th, the day before the introduction class to the youth Bible study I'm co-teaching at GRBC. I used that verse to show the kids why we study the Bible. The day I chose that verse: the 18th! Coincidence? I think not.

    -Doug

     
  • At 7:35 PM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Doug,
    Welcome to the blog. I hope that the class at GRBC goes well.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home