ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Why No Christian is an Island

John Donne once said that "no man is an island" while it was Simon and Garfunkel who stated the opposite in one of their songs: "I am a rock, I am an island." I mentioned in my previous post about the importance of being involved in the local church and fellowshipping with other believers, and there are some who would say that they don't HAVE to belong to a local church (to which of course I would quickly point to Hebrews 10:25!)

Centurion over at ...and his ministers a flame of fire has a great post in a continuing conversation about why the local church was created and why it is no argument at all that we cannot find a "biblical" church and so thus we will be a church unto ourselves (***WARNING: reading the comments on the post may be confusing since it relates to previous posts on the topic).

A rationalization like that only leads to error and more error in theology and other spiritual thinking because we are not under the preaching of the Word and the sharpening of other Christians. No church is infallible (despite what the Roman folks say), but we are all fallen!

To modify a line from Shakespeare's Hamlet: get thee to a local church this Lord's Day! Bedside Baptist or the ever-favorite UMC (that's under my covers) church won't do! The church (worshiping, fellowshipping, hearing the Word, even GIVING) is a means of grace that God uses to pour His grace into your soul--not going is like having a buffet sitting before you but refusing to eat!

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 10:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What a great Post! I totally agree, I for myself need the Church. I need the fellowship and worship as a group of people. That is also said in the Bible that we shouldnt be walking alone but together as the Body of Christ. Perhaps I am nto quoting this correctly but you understand it Dan, right?
    Anyways I cant see been a Christian and not going to Church regularly!

    Love
    Andrea

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home