ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Our Bodies as Fragile Vessels

We are, as Adam, created from the dust; our bodies are temples unto the Lord, yet are subject to fatigue, injury, sickness and ultimately death. Today was one of those days weather-wise that really brought the fatigue and sickness to the forefront, but news from my dad about the state of my grandpa's condition made it even more real.

My grandpa is a retired Methodist preacher, a great man of God (I am named after him); he was a circuit preacher (meaning he traveled to three or four churches over a month's period) in some of the coldest country there is, North Dakota, when my dad was little then settled into Indiana. He has a great passion for the Gospel, but early Alzheimer's has set in and he has been dealing with numerous health problems. Lately he has had mini-strokes which cause him to blackout and lose his balance; this, coupled with not remembering certain things have started to rob him of who he is. Within the last week, he has been hospitalized with a severe bacteria infection (he has been put in isolation where you can only approach him with a protective suit because it's so contagious) and has been diagnosed with what's called "sundown syndrome." Sundown's has this effect: about 3 or 4 in the afternoon, my grandpa becomes a different person, very nasty and very curt with anyone (even his wife) that is near him.

This is really wearing his wife out physically, and she knows she really can't take care of him at home with all that's happened. I am most sad that due to finances and distance, my wife has never had a chance to meet the man I knew growing up, and if things do not improve, Josiah will never see or know his great-grandpa. This would be tough, but God has His hand in this. I imagine the hardest thing for my grandpa is that he wants to remember things and can't; I pray that the grace of God abides in Him and with his wife during this situation. I'd appreciate the prayers of any of those out there reading this as well. Most of all, I pray that the Alzheimer's doesn't rob him of his knowledge of the Gospel and that, if all else leaves, the grace of the Gospel will guide him through to glory.

All this reminds me how fragile we are, and that while we may be called to suffer for Christ's sake, the road is most certainly hard.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 8:44 AM , Blogger s said...

    Dan my prayers are with your family. In 2007, just after Thanksgiving, my grandfather passed after about a year and a half of battling many series of mini-strokes. With each round his mind deteriorating more, till he knew no one in his family. I visited him about a month before he died and could hardly recognize him. It was very difficult to see him as barely a shell of his former self, with no recollection of his closest family or the life he had once lived. But the very hardest part is that he was not a believer that I know of. But I know that our God is merciful and good. So be encouraged, this is hard but rest in the fact that He will go on to be the Lord!
    Sophie

     
  • At 7:24 AM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Sophie,
    Thanks. I did speak with my grandma last night and she did sound very tired, but knowing that they both know the Lord is very comforting. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you all are well.

     
  • At 6:36 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Dan, we are praying for your grandad and grandma! No matter what happens, God is holding all of his memories in safe keeping! Not one will be lost for eternity!

    -Jen

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home