ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Making the Final Cut

Rather than talk about the spendulus package that is currently being discussed in DC, I will post on something more lighthearted and trivial.

So, before our son came along, we were really into to several programs and we loved our DVR because we could pretty much record them all and watch them at our leisure. They included (in no particular order):

Lost
24
Heroes
Bones
House
Chuck
Smallville
Supernatural
The Closer
Psych
Law and Order: Criminal Intent
Burn Notice
Eli Stone
The Biggest Loser
American Idol
The Office
Eureka
CSI: Las Vegas
Mythbusters


This is likely not the whole list since there are some shows that I know we probably watched but (thank goodness) did not last long and were canceled; Eli Stone, listed above, was one of those shows that did get canceled, but was well done.

But then our little boy came along and we really had to focus on him (since obviously he was more important. What happened in the weeks and months after he was born was like something out of Survivor or American Idol.

We began cutting shows. First we cut Bones, then I stopped watching Supernatural (which of course JUST NOW got interesting. Oh well.). Then CSI had to go, then the Office, then House (yes, it's good, but the cynical just wears on you after a while). Law and Order Criminal Intent went and then Chuck had to go too; we had three episodes of Chuck on the DVR and we just didn't feel interested. Heroes was the one that was taken out with the final cut, and I'd have to say it hurt, but when you have three programs on at the same time, there you go! (as an aside, my wife and I were thinking the other day how weird it would be to go back 10 years ago and say, "oh, I'll just catch the episode online"). Psych may be on the outs as well since life in general takes too much time for silly little programs, even if it is funny!

So, now I'm down to about 5 programs--life has a funny way of setting priorities. In the end, I think I'm better for it. And even these five are hard to get watched (I spent most of Sunday trying to catch up on 4 hours of 24!). And I'll catch up on these other programs some other day.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:58 AM , Blogger Joseph said...

    Here's my Top 5 (for what it's worth):
    1. 24
    2. Lost
    3. Fringe
    4. The Office
    5. American Idol

     
  • At 10:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Stephanie's Top 5:
    1. 24
    2. The Office
    3. Lost
    4. Kitchen Nightmares
    5. Bones

     
  • At 7:36 AM , Blogger Dan B. said...

    Hey Joe--yeah, I'd have to say that 24 and Lost make my list EVERY time. They're just too good to sacrifice. Fringe will have to be something I catch on DVD sometime down the road; as an Abrams show, I'm sure it's great.

    Stephanie--I really hated cutting out Bones, since I'm a big fan of David Boreanz. I think he's funny and the chemistry between him and Emily Deschanel really works; even adding Ryan O'Neal as her dad was a cool touch.

    Thanks for both stopping by!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home