ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Music and Worship

As I've already said before on this blog, I really like music--if you looked at my collection of music, there's really not a lot of genres that I don't have (I mean, other than techo/disco stuff, or real rap--DC Talk isn't quite that, depending on the CD).

I was raised in a Christian home, and surrounded by music from a very early age, since my mom was (and still is) a piano teacher who has lessons in the house. I got to appreciate many different styles of music, from ragtime to jazz to classical, and so on (to this day there are several pieces that I could never play myself but I could tell you if the notes were wrong!)

I want to explore two things in this post, first being what is music and how that translates to being worship and the second being, how do we live a life that involves worship?

But the question comes: what is music (and thus worshipful) and what is just clanging? (I won't use "noise" since the Bible most clearly says, "make a joyful noise.")

Now some may come forward and say (flashing their denominational badges, no doubt, saying in a bellowing voice), "Well, we don't play that kind of music in our church." (and each person might have a definition in their head of "that" music which may offend their sensibilities in the church setting, but that discussion is irrelevant here) But the challenge I would put to anyone is not so much the kind of music (hymns, praise choruses, etc.)we are playing or singing but more the attitude and method with which we approach the playing and singing of that music. What do I mean?

I mean that I could sing a song the same way but yet inside be reflecting two different things--one would be worshipful and truly God-honoring while the other was empty and hollow, with a mind more concerned about getting home in time for the football game later that afternoon. Church-going folks have an easy time "putting on a face" and cementing the facade by singing the songs with gusto while not really even joining with the rest of the congregation in truly communing with the Father in their worship.


How are we to get to the place where we live a life of worship? Is anyone perfect? Can anyone say honestly that all the time that while they are in church that they resemble the former rather than the latter? Of course not. Part of the discipline of being a Christian is asking the Spirit to help prepare you for worship on Sunday, and even better yet, make it a part of your daily routine!

And yes, that means making singing and praising God a part of your day! I have to admit there are times when I get up on the wrong side of the bed and I don't feel like worshiping God or feeling good about anything, truly. Dan Phillips over at Pyromanics had a great post last September about worshiping and prayer, and in it, he talked about how we are to worship even when we don't get a "feeling" to do so or come to an emotional high that validates our worship.

The fruit that is harvested from the means of grace that God provides often means practicing the discipline of prayer, worship and yes, attending church and hearing the Word on a regular basis (not staying at home in your pajamas and listening to a televangelist). It means doing it often when you don't feel like it--I have had times when I didn't feel like it but by the end I was refreshed by the Spirit and ready to take the day head-on.

To this end, I would highly recommend anything by Caedmon's Call, though their worship albums are truly spectacular (they are called "In the Company of Angels"--there is also a Vol. 1). In addition, Chris Rice has compiled a CD of hymns, some of which he has made new arrangements on, which I listen to--no joke--at least twice through a day. (if you go to the link, it is currently on sale at Family Christian Store for $10--and you may want to buy multiple copies and give them to friends/family!)

One of the things that my friend Joey (who is the Family Pastor at the church I attended in Virginia Beach) told my wife and I when we were on the praise team there was that as a member of the praise team, it was important to present a good model of how to worship. The main part of that is not so much singing great or even holding your hand up to appear worshipful, but preparing your heart and spirit for worship so that the Father is glorified when you come to Him in worship. Listening to the above music helps me to worship and helps to bring me to an attitude of being worshipful to God.

There have been those who have said, what you put in is what you will get out, whether it be books, music, TV, movies--I would challenge you to get music (or even listen to sermons) that encourages you to worship and puts you in an attitude of worship towards your heavenly Father. I mean, I love listening to Harry Connick, Jr. when I feel like listening to swing music; Miles Davis when I want to chill out; John Mayer when I want to jam and turn it up while driving. But does this music encourage me to worship? None of this music is necessarily wrong in itself, but does it encourage me to draw closer to the Father with prayers and supplications, to call on Christ as my High Priest and mediator before the throne? Does it prepare me for the Sunday morning gathering--or does it make it feel like any other day? On close examination we would all feel shameful of how little of our whole day we devote to worship, prayer and reading the Word (I know I do!).

Our minds are always taking in information and influences--what is yours taking in? Does it move you toward more worship of the Father and His Son, leave you in the same place or move you further away?

Worship the Father today in all His splendor and grace!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home