ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Friday, June 08, 2007

Spring Sports Wrap

I don't write much about sports here, since the sport I would like to watch the most, that being English Premier Football (soccer to us Americans), isn't on the TV much (or at least the cable channels that I get with my package--I have two games that a random sports channel aired a few weeks ago that I still have not watched off my DVR). As the blog indicates, my favorite team is Liverpool, who unfortunately suffered defeat in Athens, Greece recently at the UEFA (United European Football Association) Cup. They lost 2-1 to AC Milan, a great Italian side. I have great hopes with the new American ownership of the club and the re-signing of a few very key players--I think they might be able to contend for the Premiership next year, which will be exciting.

In related news, I recently purchased (actually pre-ordred) the new Liverpool away jersey and I can't wait for it to arrive! I have two jerseys already and this one by far is the best!

I'm not real sure how the arrival of David Beckham from England will affect the American game and Major League soccer, but I hope it encourages more people to watch it on television. ESPN's Colin Cowherd on his radio show did make a good point yesterday when he said that hockey has gotten marginalized because of the drop in TV viewership--viewership means dollars in the terms of TV deals and corporate sponsors. If ESPN/David Beckham can get more people to watch, then perhaps soccer will become more popular in this country. We'll see.

Last, the Red Sox did pull off a great win yesterday, and Schilling almost had a no-hitter. I was glad they did win yesterday, to keep the lead over the Yankees at 10.5 games. As a Red Sox fan, the Yankees winning 6 out of their last ten has got me BEYOND nervous--I understand that it's better for the Red Sox to have a little skid now, but if that lead gets below ten games, there might be a problem! I'm the kind of person that wants to lead to be 20 games and therefore unreachable!

(and yes, for those wondering, it is June and feels like summer already, but summer does not OFFICIALLY start until June 20th.)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • At 6:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    :O

    Whats up with that????????You like Soccer???WOW
    I love Soccer as well, but I am way more into the german players than into english or any other one of course.

    But when will you write the other things you have in your head??? I am not very much a sportfan except for soccer, iceskating ( figure and speed), ballroom dancing..LOL...and a little bit of basketball.

    Well at least you posted something LOL

    Love Andrea

     
  • At 10:16 PM , Blogger Rebekah said...

    Yes, like this blog is alllll about Andrea. Sure! ;o)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home