ReformedEsq

An attorney's reflections on life, law, theology, sports, and other random topics. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Productivity Is Restful For Your Soul

In reading a recent post on the Together for the Gospel blog, I was struck by a comment made by John Piper when eating with Mark Dever. He said: "I find productivity restful for my soul."

This comment sure does resonate with me. I am a guy that likes to do things, have a list, mark them off, etc. But it's not so much having the list or the things to do--it's having them to combat the temptation towards idleness. You see, the Bible speaks numerous times against idleness, and equates it with those who are "busybodies and gossipers." (see 1 Timothy 5:13)

In addition, idleness whether at home, at work, or even in one's spiritual life opens the door to other sins. Just as with Cain, sin crouches at our door.

Having been unemployed for the last 8 months (though that will end soon!), you would think that with all this time, I would have read the Bible cover to cover, or read as many books by great Christian men that I could find. Reality? I have fought with even having a hunger for these things.

In fact, on days where I find I am doing nothing, I feel the most tired because I have wasted the day. There is quite a difference between living and merely existing.

Productivity focuses our mind on other things, puts us to task, helps us to practice discipline. I have recently initiated family worship between my wife and I, in the morning, and we read through a short devotional from Table Talk, a monthly devotional sent out by Ligonier Ministries. There are mornings that I'm sure my wife or I don't really feel like it. But starting our day off with that--a type of "productivity"--focuses our minds on what is important, which is our life in Christ. Productivity, in my mind, can be restful to the soul because if focused on glorifying and honoring Christ, it not only guards our heart against the temptations of the flesh but redirects our thoughts to the One who should receive all the praise, honor and glory. And in this, there is rest and even peace, for the soul.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home